Sunday, May 20, 2012

Friends, Friendships, Love and Care

41 Years of living. How many more to go, only God knows.
 

I am sitting down at home now, when one thought suddenly strike me.  Friends that I have around me.  I just realise they are different... in many ways, but they are all connected to me.  How strange it sounds?   How logical is that?  How real?
I try to "categorise" the friends I have.  Yup.. I am no different in personal and professional life. Don't know whether to take this as my strength or weakness.
Always people say, friends are those who are there for you in bad in and in good time. I have to confirm that statement.  I experienced it first hand.
Now, I must say, I have friends I made when I was in elementary/ primary schools, friends whom I met when I was in secondary schools, in University, from work, and friends whom I have as part of my social gathering, friends of friends. I simply lost counts.  But they are all my friends.  I call them friends.
My father was an army.  So, when I was younger, my family always travel all over Malaysia.  As the result, I met with a lot of friends in my school days.  I attended 3 elementary/ primary schools, and 3 secondary/ high schools.  I have 2 friends whom I can declare as my closest and best friends back then.  Friends whom I shared all my secrets, my wishes, my hopes.  Thanks God, we still keep in touch until today. I met them again through Facebook.  You know who you are.  
I also have a bunch of friends whom I met when I stayed in a hostel.  I saw some of them form unbreakable friendships with each other.  Truly lovely to see.  Such strong bond formed when you were together since 13 years old. Though I was not one of them, but I am happy to acknowledge they are my friends too, not close, but friends nevertheless. There are some friends whom I keep in touch from high school.  
Thanks for keeping the friendship alive. Though virtually, we still keep in touch. 

When I entered University, I have one strong determination back then.  I took a Degree in Mathematics, with minor in Education, and English.  I am a certified teacher, but from day one, I vowed that I will never be a teacher.  I know who I am.  Though I know deep down I can be a good teacher, but it is simply not a field I can excel nor satisfied with.  So, I surrounded myself with positive thinking people.  Friends who can push me to be the best, and to improve myself further in order to achieve my targets. English was not one of my strongest point.  I was laughed at a few times, chuckled and smirked at because I was not good at it. But those chuckles, smugness, and arrogance were the exact reasons that lead me to succeed.  I have two closest friends, the person whom I can call my best friend back then.  The person with whom I shared my dreams and my ambition. Thanks God we still keep in touch as well until today.  We still know each other progress, marriages, kids, schools.  Wonderful feelings.  Even though the contacts were not as regular as I want to, but I know today if I raise my hands for help, they will run to offer me one. 

A day after I completed by final paper, I received a job offer which I accepted immediately. While my other friends were still enjoying their study break, I already started working, earning my first dime. Here, I met with a friend, through a friend.  She has become my best friend, the friend who always there for me, until today.  She was the anchor during my wedding, together with other friends.  Something I will never forget, for sure. Through her, I knew other friends who has become the best circle of friends I've ever encountered.  They welcome me so warmheartedly despite the fact I hardly knew them back then.  10 years on, we still keep in touch regularly with this group of great friends.  Amazing! As a direct result, I also brought into the same circle my good friend whom I met while I was working in a bank.  So, the family became bigger and greater. 

Then I have friends whom I met at work.  Some have become my good friends as well.  Still keep in touch, still care for each others.  
I worked in 3 different countries, with 4 different employers. Naturally, I have friends from all walk of life, different cultures, different beliefs, different countries.  I met with so many wonderful souls, lovely people, caring friends.  

I have two great friends from Down Under. We still keep in touch until today.  We continue to put effort to get in touch regularly, dropping in news every now and then.  Whenever I am back in Perth, I will try to meet up with them, tough  though, but still put the effort nevertheless.  Thanks on the friendship.  I really treasure it. 

Then when I moved back to Malaysia, to my pleasant surprise, a pilgrim to a big international company has opened up completely new doors to me.  I found out that my most satisfying friendship ever comes from my latest assignment abroad.  Working with a group of friends, how good does that sound to you?  But, that's exactly how I felt.  These are the people who not only provide support to me professionally, but also personally.  Their care are genuine, the friendship are warmth.   

Then the friends I made while lived abroad.  You are truly amazing.  I was just bedazzled by all of you.  The experience with the passing of my mum has shown me how great friends you are. Thank you! 
A friend who shared office with me for the past 2 years.  You are a good friend, hopefully we can still be after I leave the account.  Must keep in touch! 
I also met friends from my professional circle. 
A lovely lady in Stuttgart, an American who lives in Germany.  And another one; a Colombian who is also now an American. 
Then the lady who looks after my boss. She is just a wonderful soul.  
A friend who looks after another boss, another wonderful lady.  
My boss, such a great person, and a great friend too.  Caring and loving for sure.  
His fellow country man, also a great friend I have.  
I also have the pleasure to have my path cross with two friends, who used to be my direct report.  One who was so helpful and caring.  Who shed her tears when she knew I was leaving.  You are so wonderful. I thanks you all on your help and support.  The other one, we continue our friendship after she left the company. She drove for 1 hr just to express her condolences to me face to face. She baked a cake for my farewell too! Thank you dear! 
My professional friends, who now become my friends as well.  My direct reports, now turn to be friends.  Thanks on the friendship. 
When one abroad, we always tend to form a formidable friendship, somehow we are better united when we are out of our country.  So, I met these wonderful Malaysian friends as well. One in particular, who came to express her condolence, who came to wish me goodbye, who again invited me over to her house when she knew I was coming over.  Thank you to you. 

Wow, what a list of friends I have. 

I hope 1, 3, 5, 10 years down the road, we all can still turn back and think all the lovely memories, the great dos, the wonderful laughter and tears together.  I cannot imagine when someone told me, the person never has a friend. I simply cannot imagine if I don't have one! I am not sure that is the world I want to live in. So, thank you so much all for the offer of friendships, for taking me in as your friend, to be there for me in needs, in tears, in joys. 


Thank you... 

No comments:

Post a Comment