Friday, July 8, 2011

Egypt Uprising

Feeling dejavu when watching CNN on Egypt uprising.  The action was exactly in my mind when I visited the country last year, July 2010. 
The poverty was so glaring considering the wealth of the country, with one of the 7 wonders of the world located there.  CNN reported that in 2009 alone, Egypt was making US3.1 bilion from tourism industry alone. Heck, where did this money go?  As I passed the passage to the Pyramid, i saw the poverty laying ahead of me, houses after houses, kids under 10 years old working under the hot glazing sun.  
Our guide was a man  who graduated from business management in US.  He has been doing odd jobs since returning to Eqypt 5 years ago from US.  He has to stay in Cairo, to be near to his kids from his failed marriage.  Couldn't get a decent job because they are reserved for those who knew someone at the top.  
OK, I told myself to give this statement a benefit of doubts.  
As you passed by the city, the statement somehow has some weight in it. 
I asked him, why no one protested and raised this up to the government. Of course I received cynical laugh, showing how much I know about the political arena in this part of the world.  
But my argument is simple. 
In the course of 3 days in Cairo, I met more than 3 people who are well educated and spoke good English.
Please bear in mind, majority of the kids who are becoming part of the cheapest laborer in Egypt are illiterate due to lack of education.  I do not know the statistics, but according to the guide, almost 1 kid in every household in Cairo alone does not go to school. Go figure!
I trust that education make a man of you.  Fear came from unknown, knowledge is power and give you strength!
I am thinking to myself,  within this small sample of population that I personally encountered there are 3 educated people,  this sampling can lead to more than 10000 highly educated people in Cairo.  On this small number, I deduced that surely there are the main streams who can uplift the poverty that is beyond comprehension, specially when it is located in the middle of money generated industry.

So, watching the TV now, I felt small satisfaction that the Egyptions have woken up.  These are the people who deserve the wealth of their country.  These are the people who hopefully will shape a betterment of Egypt.  Of course I felt deeply regret that there are too many casualties resulting from this uprising.  

After returning from my trip from Egypt, I told a few of my friends that I will never go back to Egypt again. 

But now, I might change my mind.

Hoping the sacrifices of the people in their fight against oppression will bring positive development of a country that has plenty to offer to its citizens. 

Egyptions, know you true value and fight for your rights as a citizen.

My prayers go to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment